Monday 27 February 2012

My Inspiration



When we decided to have make our film opening a thriller,  a few films came to my mind when thinking about costumes, music and settings. For example, 'American Psycho' is one of my favourite films and has influenced me in my contributions for this project. Although the storyline for my film and the storyline in 'American Psycho' are only connected in that they are focused on an eccentric psychopath, other elements of the film have inspired my film. Above is one of my favourite scenes of the film and particularly the music used tells the audience that the film is set in the 80's and the feel good vibe of the song contrasts with the murder that is taking place on screen. I find this humorous and intriguing to watch. This is why I wanted to use a cheesy 80's pop song in my group's film, to match the 80's style and also to contrast with the narrative.

Another film which is not only a personal favourite, but also an influence on my work is 'Psycho'. To me, 'Psycho' is the greatest thriller film ever made. It seems so simple, yet so elaborative. Even though I know what happens, every time I watch it I feel captivated in the same way I was when I first saw it. Alfred Hitchcock's directing has revolutionised the way films were made and has influenced a number of other great films. The main thing about 'Psycho' that has influenced my film is the simplicity of the story, the majority of it is set in one place, and there are only a few characters in it. The simpleness yet effectiveness is definitely what I want to achieve in my film. Another way in which the film has inspired me is the character 'Norman Bates' who has certainly influenced the creation of the 'stalker' in my film, his obsessive and irrational behaviour is what my group and I have tried to capture in our film.

No comments:

Post a Comment